Candidate: Billy Richardson
District: 19 Senate
Opponent: Wesley Meredith
What endorsement have you received for your current candidacy?
Due to the late adjournment of the legislatures, these are being determined as we prepare the document. We anticipate with a close race numerous endorsements to include Sierra Club, Wild Life Federation, North Carolina League of Conservation Voter, Cumberland County NEA, SEIU, Police Benevolent Association
If offered, would you accept contribution from our political action committee RPAC?
Yes, I am honored to have received your endorsement in the past and welcome it again.
If elected, what are you going to do for homeowners/property owners in Cumberland County?
I would sponsor and support legislation which strengthen the middle class not just those who own jets. I will reestablish the $50,000.00 small business taxes credit. I will put technology in the class room and help promote a well trained work force. I would increase teacher salaries to the national average. I would ban netting and trawling in our river and sounds. We are losing second home to Virginia and other states.
How would you propose to reduce or balance the state budget next year?
We are required to balance the budget by our state constitution. I have done so twice before. You must live within your means.
Do you see fracking as positive or negative for the real estate industry?
A big negative; there is very little gas to satisfied putting such harsh chemicals in our ground waters. Water will bring jobs and business to our region if we keep our water clean.
If elected, what are your priorities for the long session next year?
- Protecting our waters. In the next 50 years. Wars will be fought over water. Water is a precious commodity and should not be wasted. Clean water will help promote positive long term growth in our State and region.
- Making our teacher’s salaries competitive with other states. Too many are leaving North Carolina for better salaries.
- Restoring our coast to attract tourism
- Protecting our university system and research triangle. We have lost 27 professors to University of Connecticut and with them millions in growth. Good schools and sustainable jobs attract people to North Carolina. This will also help create new jobs.
- Restoring cooperation and compromise on key issues. This will help to create a climate for real growth across our state.
What new ideas/concepts can you bring to the office you are seeking?
- Create a congenial atmosphere with colleagues
- Restore water quality and our fishery/oysters
- Fully use technology in our schools
- Use volunteer check offs on tax returns to allow tax payers to donate for the purpose to purchasing land for state parks.
- All these policies will enhance the quality of life which promotes real, long term sustainable growth.