Thank You FRAR attendees who took time out of their busy schedules!
Thank you to the following NC Delegation for meeting with us!
Rep. Marvin Lucas
Rep. Elmer Floyd
Rep. Rick Glazier
Rep. Ken Goodman
Rep. John Szoka
Sen. Ben Clark
Legislative Talking Points 2015 – The following talking points were discussed with the Fayetteville delegation as they pertain to the real estate industry.
Bills on the Move
- HB 151 – Creates transparency and uses historical data when calculating homeowners insurance changes
- HB 182/SB 208 – Closing loopholes to give the Insurance Commissioner the authority to lower rates
- SB 683 – Eliminates the “consent to rate” letters. These letters threaten to drop coverage unless the homeowner agrees to pay premiums higher than the state maximum set by the Insurance Commissioner
- SB 35 – Provides access to capital for small businesses that cannot attain bank loans
- HB 530/SB 442 – Rental registration & inspection changes
Positive Bills Passed
- HB 151 – Homeowners insurance reform bill “Property Insurance Rate-making Reform”
- SB 526 – Job Creation and Tax Relief Act – keeping the mortgage interest and property tax deductions in the tax code
Potential Bills/Programs & Tax Credits
- Historic and Mill Rehabilitation Tax Credits/Grants – Credits that provided nearly $1.5 billion in investment to NC expired at the end of 2014. Authorization of a NEW program will help preserve NC history, increase property values, promote tourism and save tax dollars by reducing blight and crime
- Workforce Housing Loan Program – Provides affordable housing in rural and urban areas for seniors, the disabled, domestic violence victims and many more
Other Legislative Agenda Items
- Private roads – REALTORS® are running into issues where neighborhoods were built with INTENT to turn roads over to NCDOT once the neighborhood is built out. However, due to unknown circumstances the roads DO NOT get turned over to NCDOT. NCAR is working with the NC Delegation on this issue!