North Carolina REALTORS® convened in Raleigh this month to discuss legislative issues and meet with their North Carolina delegation. Longleaf Pine REALTORS met with the Cumberland, Hoke and Lee county delegation. The following 2018 Legislative Talking Points were discussed.
To view the talking points in their entirety → 2018LegislativeHandout
- Improve the States Infrastructure – Improve the requirements for developers to ensure that roads can be brought up to NCDOT standards for acceptance into the state system for future maintenance. Develop a statewide roads database which clearly lists a road’s designation and maintenance responsibility that is easily accessible by consumers. House Bill 457 is currently sitting in the Senate Rules Committee.
- Support Property Managers – House Bill 1040 allows summary ejectment claims to be served by a private process server when returned unexecuted by the sheriff. Allows the plaintiff in a summary ejectment to utilize a private process server in counties with populations of 900,000 or greater.
- Affordable Healthcare for Small Businesses and Independent Contractors – North Carolina should amend the law to allow small business owners and independent contractors to get health insurance through an Association Health Plan.
REALTORS® also thanked legislators for…
- continued support of the Housing Trust Fund
- continued support of the Workforce Housing Loan Program
- continued support of Disaster Relief Funding
- continued support of the State’s Film Grant Program
- making needed changes to the sales tax law to end the confusion around the taxation of property management services