William “Brownie” Brown for Hoke County Commissioner
2950 Lindsay Rd, Raeford, NC 28376
- I wish to serve in public office because four out of the five commissioners do not listen to the majority of citizens they listen to people in their own circles instead the masses. they cater to their large financial donors and they tend to want to serve to better themselves, and their families instead of average citizens. contracts are being awarded to small businesses out of the county when they could be using and supporting local business.
- Poverty, Retail Sales, Growth and Recreation
Hoke County is a low wealth county, there are people who need support, and in some cases support is not available and finances have been squandered and year after year in fact, one commissioner has been in 23 years and one commissioner 16 years. the poverty has not been addressed. no incentive within county to get poor people out of poverty by providing low cost housing or repairs, education programs that build people up and build self-esteem.
Retail Sales, to get retail sales we need people, hoke county has homes for sale and homes on the foreclosed, we need to help families be able to afford to get out of older homes and into newer homes. we need to upgrade our sewer system and water system so that businesses can be attracted to our county.
Growth & recreation; is not only retail sales but, young military families, and they want green space, recreation facilities and we just don’t have it. We need a new indoor recreational facility and movie theater and bowling alley.
- We need an upgraded water and sewer system, tax incentives and property incentives and new upgraded infrastructure that will attract new business.
- Orphan roads, we have serious problem in Hoke. some people cannot get mail, ambulance, fire, law enforcement and commissioners have not sounded the alarm. I will work with DOT and have been over the last 3 years to help upgrades roads. When roads and neighborhoods were built way back, some of those covenants did not set fourth an avenue for roads to be upgraded. or if they were, some builders did not follow proper procedure. once investigated, the land owners must file grievances. I say No developers will be able to put in neighborhoods without roads being built to state code or have a plan to do so. i support senate bill 778 orphan road and think it’s a good idea to have developers bonded.
- Build new high school in fastest growing party of county instead of at old high school location which is land locked and downtown where traffic is already and issues. the city council has said they really did not want to add on to the old high school because of traffic, security and it is at capacity. Kids are already on buses 2 or 3 hours after school. I say put a new school where the growth is. We need recreation areas where citizens live not in areas out in the middle of nowhere. We need an indoor facility not splash pads. The indoor rec center could also serve as a shelter which is so badly needed, as we found out during Hurricane Matthew.
William “Brownie” Brown