1. Candidates Full Name: Leigh Howard
2. Daytime Phone Number: 910 922 9369
3. E-Mail: [email protected]
4. Current Occupation Position: Retired Army
5. Previously Elected/Appointed Position(s):
District 2a Precinct Chair from 2017-2020
6. Community Involvement:
Cape Fear Regional Theater. Directors Guild North Carolina Zoo Volunteer with Three Rivers land Trust and the Nature Conservancy American Legion Post 525. Cumberland United Methodist Church Fayetteville Veterans Mental Health Advocacy council
7. Community Endorsements:
FRWC CCRWC Lt. Gov. Robinson Firefighters Police
8. Do You Have an Active Campaign Account? Yes
9. Do You Accept PAC Checks? Yes
10. What’s your plan to address the need for workforce and affordable housing?
I will work for better bus lines in district 6 to make it easier for young workers to get to work. Programs to encourage teachers, Police Officers, and public servants to own houses in the community.
11. List three ideas that you would do if elected to attract high paying jobs and industries?
Safer streets and good policing will make Fayetteville attractive to highly skilled workers. Good policing will also make insurance costs cheaper for businesses. People want to feel safe at home, at work, and at school. The planned Performing Arts center will make Fayetteville attractive to families so long as it is run with a community stake in ownership. People will stay here if there is an active arts community. Continue to reach out to transitioning service members.
12. What do you see as the biggest challenge in your district?
Lapses in Law Enforcement. Cars are always speeding in residential areas creating a safety threat to children who may wander onto a residential street. It seems police have been ignoring little things like parking in fire lanes and parking in handicapped spots. One people have stopped respecting the law speeding 70 MPH on a 25 MPH residential street doesn’t bother them. Fayetteville PD needs help from the community recruiting and retaining good Police Officers.
13. Regarding tourism, what can be done to promote a vibrant city to outside guest and even within the community?
First thing would be to take down the Black Fences around the Market House. The new Arts Center providing quality entertainment will attract some outside visitors. Adopting a sensible parking plan for the downtown area, especially during the Dogwood Festival and other high profile events. Prevent rioting and looting. Showcase the city arts scene, CFRT and Gilbert theaters, Fayetteville Symphony, and make use of available performing units from Fort Bragg.
14. How do you propose to improve communications between your office and the community of REALTORSÂ® who are becoming more engaged on issues in your district?
I will try to make all City council dealings very transparent so everyone in the public knows what is going on. I will not make any private deals with outside lawyers. If there are any real estate transaction conducted by the City Council, I will not give any private information to an particular real estate interest giving them in advantage in city dealings. I will hold meetings with local business owners to let them know what is going on, but I will not provide insider information.