The following public hearings were approved as they pertain to local real estate.
Case P17-06 – rezoning of 43.23 acres from A1 Agricultural & CD Conservancy District to R30 Residential.
Location: 1440 Canady Pond Road
Owner: Charles T. Gardner
- 2016 – property was purchased for development of a solar farm
- Rezoning is now for high quality residential construction
- There will only be (1) entrance into Canady Pond
- Wooded buffer around property is proposed
- $250,000 – $325,000 houses proposed
What Was Said: (Developer) “We’re not gonna put no junk there in Gray’s Creek…growth is happening and most property owners agree.”
Melvin Welkins (resident) – “I’m retired military…I tried to get away and retire at a quiet place. Forty homes on a country road, your building another community in a community. You’re messing up our quality of life. There will be 40 wells…are we going to run out of water?”
The R40/CD PASSED with Commissioner Keefe voting in opposition.
Case P17-04 – rezoning of 2.80 acres from R6A Residential to C(P) Planned Commercial.
Location: southwest quadrant of the NC HWY 295 Murchison Road off-ramp and NC HWY 210 (Murchison Road), north of Bernadine Street
Owner: Lateon Still
Agents: Lori Epler & Ralph Huff
- Sewer is 1,900 feet away
- $200,000 – $400,000 to bring sewer if this is annexed
- Currently there are 11 section 8 housing units on the property
- Give them time to move out
- After move, property will be cleared out, raised, grassed and seeded
- Ideas for the property to include (Sheets gas station or hotel)
The rezoning PASSED unanimously.