1. Candidates Full Name: Janene Marie Ackles
2. Daytime Phone Number: 9108181365
3. E-Mail: [email protected]
4. Current Occupation Position: Non Profit Consultant
5. Previously Elected/Appointed Position(s):
Chairman Military Affairs Council Vice Chair Fayetteville/Cumberland Human Relations Commission President Community Watch Commander Veterans Day Parade Road Commander Wreaths Across America
6. Community Involvement:
Founder of the Cumberland County Community Watch Coalition, Deep Creek Rd Community activities with youth, voter registration drive in various places in the county, community feeding, clothing and uniform drive, home ownership program for low income
7. Community Endorsements:
I have been endorsed by the North Carolina Grassroots Government PAC
8. Do You Have an Active Campaign Account? Yes
9. Do You Accept PAC Checks? Yes
10. What’s your plan to address the need for workforce and affordable housing?
Housing is personal to me. I plan on putting resources together that will allow lower income families to become home owners. I had over 200 people attend the NACA workshop which boasts low interest and no down payment, as well as working with programs such as the CESI down payment fund and NC Home Advantage Programs. The main issue is that lower income citizens usually don’t have down payment funding. The more viable housing we have, the easier it will be to attract more businesses.
11. List three ideas that you would do if elected to attract high paying jobs and industries?
1. Get more people owning homes which is an investment in their communities. 2. The Cumberland County Community Watch Coalition has a plan to develop community watch and safety programs in areas that are less desirable to entice business owners to place their businesses in those areas. 3. Seek out business opportunities and work with them to bring larger industries to Fayetteville, enticing them with the fact that our city is the #1 place for Black entrepreneurs and business ventures.
12. What do you see as the biggest challenge in your district?
One of the biggest challenges in the district is unity. We must find a way to connect all governing bodies in Cumberland County to connect in a positive manner. Bridging a gap between the County Commissioners and City Government would allow our city as a whole to enjoy more funding opportunities. We must work together to give our citizens a better quality of life. Working together on key issues such as but not limited to housing, homelessness and wages would allow us to be a progressive city.
13. Regarding tourism, what can be done to promote a vibrant city to outside guest and even within the community?
I believe we are on the brink of our city becoming vibrant. The New Years event was amazing and people from neighboring cities attended as well. On the other hand our downtown district is more like a hobby district than a business district. There are some ordinances which need to be updated so that we can attract others to downtown and surrounding areas.
14. How do you propose to improve communications between your office and the community of REALTORSÂ® who are becoming more engaged on issues in your district?
Once in office, I would propose to meet with realtors on a normal basis to be able to keep up with the housing market, down payment assistant programs and other issues pertaining to the housing market. Realtors would be able to give the most up to date reports that would help in developing new programs for home ownership and housing opportunities.